Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 2nd gear jerk When accelerating

Customer Question

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 2nd gear jerk
When accelerating from 1st to 2nd, works strong and fine, once in 2nd, and accelerating, once it gets into medium to high rpm range, my bike feels like it jerks, or cuts out, ( NO Power) for a split second then balls to the wall the rest of the way threw the gears. ONLY IN 2nd gear. If I shift into 3rd at a low rpm, its fine.
Kawasaki said they couldn't figure it out. Gears were fine, shift fork was good.... They said well the can go looking but it will cost me more. HELP
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?Can I get your mileage and also if you have your VIN (17 digits) number, I would like to see if you have any outstanding bulletinsAlso any modifications done to the unit including intake and exhaust and fuel injection enhancers ?Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My name is Diego
04 V2K w/ 24,216 miles..... All Stock except V&H exhaust..Vin# JKBVNMA134A000411
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Diego, VN2000A1L have you owned this bike awhile, or something you just purchased ? and was this exhaust just added or has it been on the bike for awhile ? Unit had a couple of bulletins, looks like those have been performed, so you are good there.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
One more question, do you ride this hard ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
IM THE 2ND OWNER, owned it 3 months now previous owner said he did his own service, So I brought it in to a Kawasaki dealer for this issue aswell as get a complete service. I ride it hard sometimes due to where I live. When I ride hard is when I feel it only in 2nd. . I just put on this exhaust 3 days ago. This problem existed before this.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks Diego, good info ! I believe that you have a lean condition and installing the exhaust is likely going to intensify what's going on. This has a digital ECU and the ECU changes the curve every 500 RPM, when working for the factory we would see this occasionally not necessarily on this model, it was very rare but sometimes a segment would loose its program thus giving you the effect that it was lean or a miss.Here is what I would try first before going with a power commander or a re-mapping unit for the fuel injection. These big twins tend to carbon up hard especially if they are ran at lower RPM's. So excessive carbon can call all kinds of problems especially in the combustion chambers, when hot it expands and actually absorb some of the intake charge, causing a lean condition.So my suggestion is to go to an O'reilly Auto parts store and get a bottle of Techron, marketed through Chevron, I would run a whole bottle through a full tank, and see if its helps, and you might have to do a couple of bottles, if it helps then you're good, if not then you are going to have to look into a fuel enhancer especially with the V&H pipes. So the Techron remove most of the carbon out of the combustion chamber and also it really works great on the injectors also.Let me know of you have any questionsThanksKenny