Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My 2001 VN 800 classic has problem since I bought it.Took

Customer Question

My 2001 VN 800 B classic has problem since I bought it.Took it to at least 3 real moto mechanics (35 years,15 yrs,40 yrs)in 3 yrs period (and other 3 diff. shops) but they can't get it right.Rode it maybe 200 miles not more.It's always there with them.Still at this time too at a dyno place.
It's bobbed but carb is still stock but everybody worked on it( diff. needle setting,floater...etc.. .Custom exhaust,yes.Air box is Kuryakin Hypercharger.
I got it from a police pound.Owned by a rock star band member.It had carpet pad in the air Kuryakin air box as in to restrict air flow,we thought.The 1st mechanic removed that plus some black plastic tank called air surge box under the fuel tank & plugged some hose and the bike at least started for the very 1st time since I bought it but always not right.
My problem is:it rides good but as soon as it reaches 45-50 MPH or when it gets more wind coming or if there is a gust of wind or the throttle is wide open,the engine bogs.Sudden change of speed does that too.From stop sign to launch sometimes.It never starts without the choke if not used for 5 hours or more and I have to leave the choke for 2 good minute to warm it.Willing to change the whole carb if necessary.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** thing is way lean, what do you mean "carpet pad" ?????
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Carpet pad they use under carpet.The first day we got it & we started to fire it up,we found out a layer of thin sponge around he filter as a pre-fiter( this is when we removed the filter box cover) plus another layer of material cut to size(the carpet pad) around the thin filter.It was to restrict the air flowing in we assumed.At least it started when when threw those junks out & put a $50.00 one.
All these mechanics I went to said the same thing, that it's lean & worked on it.I kept telling them that test driving it at their place don't show the problem and that it still keeps choking while I ride it specially above 40 straight and more even when it is a li'l windy.
You know when you have the throttle at a certain degree constantly and the bike hesitates like you're out of gas.I visit the same place 2 or 3 times,get fed up with their service and go to another mechanic.Now the last one where the bike is at told me he even researched online & that he's still trying to figure it out.So came in my mind "ask a mechanic".Well, I'll give him your expertize and see if he can explain me where he is lost and i'll tell you
Thanking you in advance & with due respect.
OK, well you need to get rid of all that stuff (carpet pads) so I need what kind of pipes are on this thinks and you said that you are running a Kuryakin Hypercharger ? now I will give you my recommendations but remember this might get you close, it all depends, but let me know the pipes and give me a bit, let me work on thisThanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The carpet pad stuff is all gone 2 yrs ago & replaced with the right thing.
Here is the pipes' info: It had once a Vance & Hines welded half way to the stock.We replaced that with another custom megaphone type with a slip-on quiet baffle but we still used the 2 stock pieces that come out from the engine.So the stock pipes are still there(55%) and the rest is the megaphone type with 3" ends.If it helps you I wanna add that (once you mentioned it) we had some issues on this part because they told me once to add more fiberglass insulation on the baffles and other times to remove them & drill more holes on the baffles.
OK, thanks, ***** ***** get back with my recommendation today.Kenny