Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My 2009 Mule 4010 4x4 will not stop overheating. I have replaced

Customer Question

My 2009 Mule 4010 4x4 will not stop overheating. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump. Bled the system (i think). Coolant comes out the radiator and the overflow is full. Runs ok until i start to drive and then starts to overheat in less than 2 minutes. Fan is on, half the radiator is hot and both hose lines feel warm. I need this thing like 4 days ago when it died.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.
Hi David, my name is ***** ***** of things before we get started...Current hours that are on this unit ?VIN number (17digits) and or the exact model code ?Can you give me a brief description as to when this all started, was something replaced and or it just over heated one day ?Also was anything like the valve covers melted or anything else that would indicated that the engine got really hot ?Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4084 hrs.
Vin is JK1AFCM10AB505270
It started last Tuesday. Was driving it around the farm and light came on. Stopped using it right away. Was not getting anything on return line so replaced the water pump and thermostat at the same time. Had some issues with gasket on water pump yesterday, replaced that, then leaking at thermostat today, replaced that. Nothing appears to be melted. We stop it immediately after the light comes on.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.
OK good David, KAF620MAF is what you have. Reason I asked on how hot you thought it got is because there is a possibility that the head gaskets could have been compromised. So obviously I'm concerned why all of a sudden the unit over heated, that is usually a coolant loss or lack of, do you keep an eye on the coolant on a regular basis, is there a possibility that maybe you ran it low (reservoir tank) or do you think that maybe the water pump gasket might have been the source of the coolant loss and then it sucked the reservoir dry ?