Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2014 KTM EXC My question is to loft the front wheel

Customer Question

I have a 2014 KTM EXC My question is to loft the front wheel over obsticales easier as does my 250 XC if it's possible to turn down the outside of the 500's flywheel some to get the engine to spin up quicker? I have decades of MX and cross country racing as well as trail riding.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  brian winther replied 8 months ago.
anything is possible, whether it is worth the trouble would be my concern. if you were to "lighten" the flywheel it could, in theory, increase throttle response. the negative to that is unknown, what damage could result? vibration? unwanted stress on other components? I would personally recommend adapting to the larger bike or sticking with the 250. they are completely different animals that have their own tricks.