Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

I can't get the prop shaft off 99 500 sportsman 1/2 can pb

Customer Question

I can't get the prop shaft off 99 500 sportsman 1/2 can pb blaster lots of pounding no go! also what is the adjustment on this shaft at the case?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

Hi Dennis, my name is ***** ***** sure if I understand your whole question "1/2 can pb blaster lots of pounding no go"

And just we are on the same page, are you trying to remove the shaft from the engine to final drive or left or right side shafts in the rear ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
lets start over Kenny 1999 Polaris 500 sportsman I can't get the front "PROP" shaft off the spline where it comes out of the rear case there is an adjuster at the case where this shaft comes out about 6" to spline that is seized I have pounded & used 1/2 can of PB blaster to no success
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

OK Dennis, lets make sure we're talking about the same shaft, so you have a shaft from the rear (trans/subtrans) that drives the front differential, is that the shaft you are trying to remove ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the drive shaft that drives the front wheels I have the front ujoint off "with roll pin" but the rear ujoint wont come off the spline!
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

OK, if the roll pin is out, then the normal procedure is to push the shaft towards the rear (enough to get the shaft off the splines up front then then you need to "pull sharply" towards the front to pull it off the transmission shaft. This is the "normal" procedure, but as you know and I know when these are subject to moisture and what whatever else can get in between the splines will inhibit the removal.

I got you on the PB blaster now, what I end up usually using if they are that corroded is getting a small torch and heat up the u-joint (spline area) this will allow the metal to expand on the u-joint and will then make it where it will pull off, try heat, just be careful when applying.

So far you have done everything you need to do to get it off, its sounds like it just has some corrosion on the splines as you stated.

Let me know of this helps and if you get it off, if not I have another idea, is this unit drivable ?

Thanks Dennis

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kenny what is the adjustable collar just ahead of this shaft can I screw this out to get this shaft and collar out where I can replace these ujoints
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

At the transmission side ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

Dennis I have lost you on this "adjustable collar" maybe picture what you are referring to and post it up ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this collar is over the shaft with the spline that wont budge, it is threaded about 10" long and you can turn it with a pipe wrench if this would remove the shaft I could use the torch on the bench and not right under the starter!
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

You have basically 3 shafts, on the transmission side you have an output shaft, then you have the propeller shaft that connects the sub trans shaft to the front differential, the propeller shaft is separate of the shaft out of the transmission and also that of the front differential, now there is a housing that supports the shaft out of the sub/trans, is that what you are referring to ?

Also why don't you give me your frame number or if you know the exact model code,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know about trans/sub trans. ect. there is only ONE shaft going to the front drive line this adjuster is the only thing between the seized ujoint and the case which is probably what you are calling trans. it is on the right hand side "as seated" I do not have any way to send picture. using a torch on a joint with grease in it seems like a FIRE HAZZARD
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 7 months ago.

Dennis if tis corrosion that is keeping from pulling the shaft off then you need to loosen it up with heat (in a shop environment is widely used) if you feel you are not comfortable using heat that will likely help get the part off, then you will have to engineer a puller to get this shaft off. S

some of the manufactures offer special tools to remove there parts in certain circumstances, however there is no such tool for this shaft removal. I have offered my ideas to try to help you the easiest way, I have nothing else to offer, as I said in a repair shop, or a dealer 95% of the technicians use heat to remove a lot of these stubborn parts as a results of the type of use/abuse that occurs in most normal conditions.

And I understand your concern about FIRE HAZZARD, maybe its time to go to a dealer and hive them pull the shaft off, I will opt out and maybe another expert here has a better way ?

Thanks Dennis