Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

MY 2013 550 GATOR IS HARD TO SHIFT FROM F - R OR R - F.

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: SURE. ITS SHIFTED BY CABLES (NEW). IT STICKS IN GEAR WITH ENGINE RUNNING OR NOT RUNNING. IT HAS A CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION. HARD SHIFTING COLD OR WARM.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ARE YOU STILL THERE
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible internal mechanical fault in the transmission/gear box itself with it needing inspected to locate the internal mechanical fault and repaired.If the cables are new and the shifter is o.k. then the transmission will need inspected further to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if you rock the gator back and forth it eventually shifts out of what ever gear you are in. once it frees up and machine is not running it shifts through all gears fine. if you start gator and shift into F or R it goes in to gear but then will not come back out of selected gear unless you rock machine vigorously back and forth.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

This still sounds like an internal mechanical fault in the transmission/gear box itself needing removed and inspected for damage and repaired or replaced.I would have this looked into further to locate the fault.It is difficult to pinpoint the exact fault from here without seeing the vehicle but this is usually most common for this issue with an internal failure and does need inspected further to locate the cause.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete