Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 95 and a 97 quad 300. Both ran well years. Just

Customer Question

I have a 95 and a 97 king quad 300. Both ran well for many years. Just recently both started having similar problems. For a few minutes they might run perfectly normal but then suddenly get sluggish, loose power, occasionally backfire, and sometimes kill. They will usually start right up again and idle fine.
FYI- I went through the carb, pump, and petcock on the 97 with a needed cleaning. Then again I went through the carb replacing using a kit. This helped some idle problems it was having before.
FYI- The 95 was overheated on the ride prior to its acting up. Upon noticed the hot oil light we let it cool and then continued to finish our ride just fine. It was the next time out that after riding for a short while it began the symptoms listed above.
I suspect at this time that it is electrical/heat related. If you agree, which component would it most likely be on this model?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try the basics and determine general area of possible fault. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) when the symptom shows up again:

• • carefully remove the spark plug;
  • • check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;
  • • cautiously perform a spark test;
  • • crank and note if fuel enters the combustion chamber.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It could be weeks before I ride again and I don't want to load it up, haul it, get it hot, to try this. (I ride maybe 4 times a year is all). Lets assume that when the symptom occurs there is no spark. What then?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

I understand.

Proposed checks if no/low/intermittent/ spark:

• • carefully determine if the ignition coil has overly heated up;
  • • check the battery voltage when revving for potential over charging;
  • - if overly high, try/run with the regulator temporarily disconnected;
  • • check for the presence and consistency of the ignition voltage to the CDI unit from the Engine KILL switch and/or ignition switch;
  • • test for pulsating high voltage from the CDI to the ignition coil;
  • • test for pulsating low voltage from the pulser/pickup coil to the CDI.