Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Have an 05 suzuki bolevard c-90 that has quit charging

Customer Question

have an 05 suzuki bolevard c-90 that has quit charging battery. only have 11.94 volts at battery. checked the stator output,its ok. replaced the rectifer and still not charging.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.

Hi William my name is ***** ***** I get the current mileage on your bike and also do you have access to a multi-meter ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi kenny o. yes have a multimeter. I am an electrician by trade2. i checked the stator output at rectifer plug. making 27 volts at idle then goes up to 65. dont know how to check the rectifier out put. i installed a new rectifier but still only 12.2 volts at battery. milage on bike is 15,000.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.

OK good, thanks for getting back William, lets first try getting some AC reading out of the stator "under a load" the three wires coming from the stator where they connect to the "main" harness or you can check it at the regulator/rectifier. What you want to do is get a VAC reading with everything hooked up (loaded) so start the engine and then measure across the three wire, do this at idle and you should be seeing anywhere from 11-12 VAC, if it its higher that's OK, if and when you probe across one phase and its below what would be 11-12 VAC, then that is an indication that you likely have that phase out (shorted) and would require stator replacement, now do this reving up to (loaded) this will test for a layer short across the windings on the stator.

Let me know what you come up with, or you have any questions

Thanks William

Kenny