TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

Why would a Honda VFR 800 with only 22,000 miles bend a

Customer Question

Why would a Honda VFR 800 with only 22,000 miles bend a connecting rod? Is that engine with a bent connecting rod worth rebuilding if I attempt it myself?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 8 months ago.

It is extremely rare for a motorcycle to bend a connecting rod. It is often seen in watercraft engines. In those cases it is caused by water being ingested into the engine. When water gets in the cylinder it will not compress and when the engine rotates the pressure inside the cylinder on top of the piston causes the connecting rod to bend. This is called hydraulic lock. So the thing to look for is any sign of water in the cylinder with the bent rod. If there is no sign of water then the cause may be excessive fuel in the cylinder. This could be caused by a fuel injector that is leaking fuel. It could also be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator. This model does have a problem with the regulator going bad and causing fuel to be drawn directly into the intake manifold and cylinders thru the vacuum line that attaches to the top of the regulator.

That model engine is very reliable so if you are certain of the cause of the problem and correct that then rebuilding the engine would be an option. That engine is pretty complex so unless you have a lot of engine rebuilding experience I would not recommend trying to do it yourself. A better option would be to find a low mileage engine from a wrecked bike at a salvage yard or on ebay.

Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can return to this question at any time and add a reply in the event you need further assistance with this problem