Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1994 Honda Goldwing Interstate. A fuse keeps poping

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Honda Goldwing Interstate. A fuse keeps poping that controles my fuel and Temp gagues, as well as my netrual light on the consel. This also controle all the rear lights except for turn signals. The fuse will pop as soon as power is supplied. Some have suggested that a relay may be the problem. Thiughts?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary check (if have not been done) would be on the possibility of a pinched brown and/or brown/white and/or black/brown wire.

With no fuse or better yet, battery disconnected/removed, check the resistance to frame ground or harness green wire the above wires using a multi-meter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where would be the location of these wires? Under the seat it near fuse box? What about the possibility of a relay? Or is a pinched wire the most likely culprit?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Between the 2, a relay would be least likely whereas a pinched wire would offer the most exposure to potential grounding. Additionally, a relay's failure would often cause a part not to function such as a bulb not lighting up but not cause a fuse to blow. Fuse blows because of excessive current flow.

Start from the fuse box itself and follow / trace the brown wire which then splits/feeds the other wires.