Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Question- I have husaberg TE 300, 2013, which bottoms out

Customer Question

Question- I have husaberg TE 300, 2013, which bottoms out really bad over jumps. I ride MX and grass tracks. I am 92 KG with no riding gear, I am 49 and ride clubman class, i am about high C Grade low b Grade standard.
Bike handles ok except for jump landings as it bottoms out badbly. i realise the bike is an enduro bike and not designed for MX.
My kids ride MX and just want to ride MX with them on the day, bike has standard suspension which I realise doesnt suit my weight ,... do I have to go heavier springs and or re-valving , cant afford to spend to much.
Bike set up is per owners manual sport settings for rebound, dampening and compression.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 9 months ago.

Try increasing the compression. It should bottom out on the biggest jumps or you are not using all the suspension effectively.

Too much compression can affect the bike's ability over smaller

bumps and terrain. If it is too rough you need to decrease the compression. If the shocks are worn you may need replacments

or fresh springs. Going too heavy on springs will affect your average

handling when not on jumps but too soft on suspension makes the bike less controllable. Too much rebound can make a bike jumpy

as the suspension fails to return quick enough.

In your case I would try extra compression but just enough so it still bottoms out on the bigger jumps. This gives you full suspension travel.

If you can't get that to work some new shocks might be in order

or possibly some shims to support sagging springs if cost is a concern.

Same applies to front, more compression or spring increase.

Re-valving is more about rebound control and dampening for rough sections, keeps the wheel on the ground and not sliding out in corners.

Suspension has to be a balance, not too harsh or soft.

--

Expert:  Wayne S. replied 9 months ago.

I might add that air forks/shocks can have pressure increased to prevent bottoming. Too much rider sag in your suspension might mean the springs are not right for you.

---