Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2007 Honda cbr1000rr that will not start. It barely

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Honda cbr1000rr that will not start. It barely turns over. battery is fully charged and brand new starter. With plugs out it turns over pretty good with plugs in bike drags.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 9 months ago.

First thing to do is have the battery load tested to make sure it is not only charged up but has maintained it's stamina or ability to produce the current necessary for the starter to spin well.

Second thing is check the battery cables and especially the ground cable to the engine. You could also try running a good battery directly to the starter motor to see if it spins well when connected that way.

If you bypass the cables then you will know where it is losing power.

Also, if it does not spin well then the starter motor may be dragging and need a rebuild or replacement.

Your battery also needs to be good quality in order to provide enough

amps to the starter.

Last resort is to make sure the engine is turning without excess friction as you did by removing the spark plugs.

The starter should start the bike when power is applied directly to it with the key on otherwise the starter is dragging.

Batteries can appear charged and still be weak in stamina.

Let me know if the starter works when connected directly to a good battery or not.

-----

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tested the old starter motor on a hot battery today. Could not tell if it was a normal sound or not. I bought a starter motor off of e bay that the bike that it came off had only 4,000 miles on it. they both sound the same. I put new starter back on bike, instead of placing the ground wire on top of starter where the mounting screws go, I place the ground between the engine and starter. Its sounds a little promising. Tomorrow I will hook the tank up and try, if does not work I will go ahead and buy a new one or have it rebuilt.The reason why it took a minute to reply is because the bike is outside. It has been raining like crazy here and I have to wait until my wife move the car so that I can have some shelter from the elements.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 9 months ago.

If you think the ground is bad try connecting some other cables

to the grounds on the motor or frame and negative battery post.

You need good positive and negative connections between the starter and the battery. If it has lots of battery power and good cables

then it might be the starter is weak. Keep the battery up as you test it.

Let me know how it goes.

---

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Today I got a test light and I touched the red lead battery cable from battery it was hot, then I touched the fuse in between the starter relay it was hot, then from fuse to relay it was hot. now I go to the other side of the relay where the hot lead connects to starter. I touched other side of relay on top of mounting bolt and no fire was coming from other side of relay. Tested the hot lead and still no fire. The lead from starter to relay has some corrosion up top by relay. Some of the insulation around top of cable had signs of arcing and some parts of cable braking off, most of the problems I saw was close to the starter relay.