Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

My bike is in neutral and it won't go in to first gear lift

Customer Question

My bike is in neutral and it won't go in to first gear lift the lever up won't go into gear push it down seams to go to higher gear
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

Can I get the mileage on your bike ? and I have a few questions before we get started

1. How many miles are on the bike currently ?
  2. Has the bike ever been down on the l/h side, if so can you explain the damage that was done to it ?
  3. Has any engine work been performed recently ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is Anthony miles are 882257 just bought it so don't know if it's been over on oh side but do not look like any damage to left side went into first when we put it on the trailer wouldn't go in when we got it off
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK thanks Anthony, now when you grab the shifter when you push it down lightly does it feel that it wants to come back up, or do you have to pull it, now I'm taking very lightly, in other words, do you feel the spring ? and also in the opposite direction, when you pull the shifter up does it appear to spring back down ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Feel like the spring is still there it springs up and down
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

So does this bike run, have you rode it ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
runs good but have not ridden it far just on to a trailer
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, so what's happening right now, can you start the bike, neutral light on ? then will it click down into first gear ? Can you get the transmission to shift into to first with the clutch in and engine running ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It clicks into gear when you let the clutch out it stalls and stops feels like it's not in first
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, when you say it stalls, as soon as you start letting out the clutch it will die, or can you try to raise the RPM and say like slip the clutch can you get it to move or the engine just shuts off, what I'm trying to get a feel for is if the engine is cutting off, can you get the neutral light to come on ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Will the neutral light come on ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
neutral light comes on when you click it back up .you can get it to move with higher rpm just feels like a hand brake is on
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, there is NO clicking the shifter up as it WILL NOT go into second gear, Kawasaki's has a built in neutral finder on the output shaft of the transmission, it will not allow the second gear slider to move unless the output shaft is spinning, and that's when the real wheel is spinning, so we know all that is working, correct ?

So we know that the bike has a neutral because the lights is on, and the bike will roll without pulling on the clutch, so now, have you verified that the when the engine is in neutral, does the rear wheel spin fairly free, remember you are turning the drive shaft and the bevel gears on the l/h side of the engine by the shifter, and then the output shaft inside he transmission nevertheless you will be able to turn it.

Does the bike push easy ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You can push it easy when in gear backwards and forward
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hold on, in gear (1st) with the bike not running, clutch out, you should NOT be able to move it at all

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry you can't move it while in gear with clutch out
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can move in gear with clutch in
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, engine not running, put the transmission in 1st gear, don't NOT touch the clutch lever !!!! Can you push the bike ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, that's what I was trying to make sure we are on the same page

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

When you were loading this bike on the trailer did you have any problems, like maybe it bottomed out when trying to load it or did it get hung up when loading it ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No proper motorbike trailer with ramp but stand went though floor while towing bike home
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Please explain, side stand ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lh side but didn't fall over or hit the gear lever
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't think
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Now I need to ask some questions, but don't take offence to some of these, obviously I don't know you, but this is my process to figuring out the issues,

So have you owned many motorcycles in the past ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Four last one about ten years ago
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** a minute or two here

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

One more question,

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

I don't think there is a problem with the clutch or transmission at this point, I think some damage occurred when you were towing the bike and when the bike fell through the floor of the trailer it damaged the side stand switch, so what's happening when you go to take off the ignition system thinks that the side stand is down and the engine is shutting off, I was trying to get that out of you earlier but was having trouble explaining that to you, either that of the switch under the clutch master cylinder got damaged when it fell over ?

Everything that you have explained to me doesn't give me any indication that there is a clutch or shifting problem !

So back to starting the bike, pull the clutch in, click it into gear, GIVE IT NO THROTTLE, let the clutch out really slow and most likely before the clutch starts to engage i'll bet it will shut off like a light switch, maybe lets try that ??

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

BTW, the side stand is located just behind the side stand, its a 2 wire switch and follow the wires up and for testing purposes only you can unplug the switch and then on the harness side connect the two wires, this will eliminate the side stand switch, just be careful as if you forget to put your side stand up and take off it can put you on your ass !

Look for broken or pulled wires and maybe a broken switch

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I reved the guts out of it took it for a run now it is all good thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

So what was it just loaded up ?