Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1986 kawasaki zl600a eliminator. It will not start

Customer Question

I have a 1986 kawasaki zl600a eliminator. It will not start in temperatures lower then 70 degrees. I've tried everything and spent $1600 on a mechanic that still didn't fix the problem. Can you please help me?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Michael, my name is Kenny

First off are you going to attempt to repair this now yourself ? If so will you feel comfortable going through a series of checks including a compression measurement and some electrical, you will need the tools to do so, I will instruct you through the process where we should be able to come up with at least what's causing it.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a mechanic going thru the bikes manual as well. Just trying to get him some ideas. Compression was good last time it was checked. What in the electrical would not work unless it was hot out?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK let start off and can you give me a number on the compression in ALL cylinders, starting from left to right ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to rent the compression gauge kit and redo it tomorrow. I don't remember what they were. I know the mechanic that burned me supposedly changed 8 of the exhaust valves.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Not sure where you are located, if you have a Harbor Freight tool store by you, you can pick a pretty inexpensive one there, make sure you bring a spark plug where ever you go to get the correct size and reach

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will go there tomorrow. Thank you
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, good just get back when you can !

Thanks Michael

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just for the "halibut" is there any components that would be defective if it was cold out but work ok when it's hot out? It almost acts like it's not getting any spark...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I even tried pop starting down my long steep driveway and it wouldn't even sputter..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

No Michael, its usually completely opposite, if an ignition component is on the verge of failing or falling out of its specific range it will usually happen when it heats up, that's the normal, to be honest with you I have never seen it this way, one question, has this bike even been down on the r/h side ?

When this thing runs how does it run ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To my knowledge it has never been down. When it will start it runs strong. Theres a tiny ticking sound coming from the clutch area but I was told that's no big deal unless the clutch starts slipping.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Michael, I have a few ideas, before we get into all that I still what to get that compression check and also if you don't have a timing light my look into borrowing one, I want to use it as a spark check ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kenny I worked later then I expected today so I'm going to get the pressure gauge and the timing light right now but it's already dark here so I will try to atleast do the compression test tonight but might not get to it until tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance and I will get back to by tomorrow.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

No problem Michael !