P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

On my '08 Electra glide standard police with a thunder max

Customer Question

On my '08 Electra glide standard police with a thunder max fuel pack and k&n cold air induction. The check engine light, red battery light, red key light came on and the speedo and tach quit working. Ran codes P2176 and P1511 and an old code U1016. But everything seemed back to normal when I cranked it this morning.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.

You likely have a twist grip sensor that is failing. It is very common and your sensor was updated to a more reliable model later on. You can ride it until it becomes a more common issue but it will likely not completely go away on its own. It will likely begin going into throttle limited mode pretty often. You can sometimes reset this on the side of the road by removing the 40 amp maxi fuse for a minute or so.

The sensor is only about $100 and is fairly simple to replace if you want to go ahead and replace it.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.