P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Was out riding and all of a sudden my 2004 Sportster1200

Customer Question

Was out riding and all of a sudden my 2004 Sportster1200 starts popping and the electrical things start flashing. I start to pull over and it died. No power to any thing.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.

The most common problem on that era of Sportster is a bad ignition switch. It isn't too hard to diagnose but requires a volt meter to do so. I can help you with that if you want to try it yourself. A good "key wiggle" can sometimes get you going again in the short term. The internal contacts get worn and burned causing it to stop passing power properly.

A new switch is available in the aftermarket for about $35.

I hope this helps. If so, please leave a Positive Rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  P.J. replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome, take care. P.J.