P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Can a used speedo be installed to operat in a 2006 Softail

Customer Question

can a used speedo be installed to operat in a 2006 Softail
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Make sure it is connected properly and no damage is found with the connections.I dont show the exact info on this model if a used is compatible but I know on some models a dealer may have to calibrate/program to allow proper operation.I woudlnt think this is the case on this model here and would think that it should plug in and operate properly.I would have this tested further to see if the speedo you installed is faulty needing replaced again.You might contact a dealers repair center to see if there is any special coding or procedures that need done to get this to work as well.If you want to continue here to see if you can locate this info let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The answer is yes but the speedometer must be "married" to the bike's ECM using a computer system. This can be done by an HD dealer or by an independent shop with a Technoresearch computer system.

It cannot just be plugged in and made to work without this procedure.

I hope this helps clarify and specifically answers your question. If so, please leave a Positive Rating for my service, thanks, P.J.