Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 2005 Goldwing with 48,000 miles. Four months ago

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Goldwing with 48,000 miles. Four months ago the F1 light came on and when I had it checked out they said it was a code 25 (right knock sensor). I ordered the sensor and the light went out before I had it installed. Last week the light came on again and I had the sensor installed and didn't go three miles when the light came back on. The mechanic checked the code again and it was 25. He said it probably was sending a false code. I rode the bike home (approximately 60 miles) and the light stayed on but now the bike won't idle when the engine is hot.
Any help would be appreciated on where to began to correct the problem.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect any wiring to the sensor for any issues with the wiring or connection.If a fault is found it will need repaired.If the engine has an actual internal engine knock this will cause this issue here.Having a knock or knock signal will cause the computer to run the engine differently to try and compensate for the knock and can cause the rough engine running.

Some of these models have a computer or control unit the knock signal is sent to and if there is no actual knock and the sensor and sensor wiring and connection are all o.k. then I suspect the computer/control unit will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete