Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My kymco 500 mxu 2007 would run fine 15 or 20 minutes and

Customer Question

My kymco 500 mxu 2007 would run fine for about 15 or 20 minutes and then sputter out and dieing and continue to die after that. Now it won't start. I have replaced the spark plug,ignition coil and CDI box.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, it would appear to either be a fuel delivery issue (most likely) or an electrical-heat related concern (least likely). Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • attempt to start again and allow engine to run till it dies ....will no longer start;
  • • carefully remove the sparkplug;
  • • check if the tip would be wet/smell fuel;
  • • cautiously test for spark;
  • • view sparktest video tutorial HERE;
  • • the above would determine if it is fuel or electrically caused.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have obviously tried all of those things like cleaning out the carburetor and change the fuel filter before I spent 300 dollars in parts. And it is a brand new spark plug and I double checked the gap of the spark plug and that is right.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Appreciate the post back; still, is there spark? ...does fuel reached the plug? (when "...it won't start...")

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have perfect spark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I ain't getting stuck paying another 26 dollars when you haven't told me anything I don't already know
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Thanks; significant information "...have perfect spark..."

With no airbox installed, cover the carb mouth with the palm of your hand and attempt to start. Please determine if there is suction and if fuel would wet your palm.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried that also. But yes I have my palm covered in fuel. It won't even start with a shot of starting fluid. But it will respond a little and hit over a little
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kick ovet
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

I understand.

If have not been done, perform a compression test or better yet, a leak down test.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry you haven't given me any adequate answers pertaining to this particular machine. These have all been really generic answers that go along with run of the mill troubleshooting. I really don't feel that I have received any expert advice. Thanks for trying. But I don't feel that this was worth anything
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

The question would be re-opened that an alternate approach may be proposed by another member of the site.

Still, good luck with the Kymco even if I am opting out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I am gonna need it. This is a real head scratcher. I am chasing down electrical stuff now. I was hoping that you held the answer and could save me some headaches