RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Cant get the primary cover back on 883 sporster 1993

Customer Question

cant get the primary cover back on 883 sporster 1993
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

tell me what you have done so far so that I can figure out what you missed or where you need help.

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to talk to You ,do you work in the daytime?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this being sunday u may not be on right now ,ok.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I don't do phone calls.

if you answer my post, above, we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do u not use the phone?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

my choice.

do you wish to continue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok , i have a harley factory shop manuel and have a shop. I have this harley for sale. The starter was not working right so I took it off to test it didnt want to sell it with a bad starter. tested the starter and it was the starter relay now i have the starter back on but the primary cover likes about 1/2 inch bolting up. broke the piece with 3 ball bearings and have another ordered.what else can i tell you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have the clutch loosened like the manuel says
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u steve ,I appreciate You help.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

- once you slack the primary chain adjuster, you may need to help the chain up on top of the adjuster shoe. if you don't, the cover may not fit up flush.

- you also need to ensure the shift shaft is aligned with the bushing and seal.

these are the most common hang ups.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the chain up and and the shift shaft in in the hole, help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wish to contune
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can reach under thecover and push the chain up and push the cover almost closed likes about 1/2 inch .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get the cover almost on but cant pull the clutch lever in .
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

- check to see if the cover is hanging up on the alignment dowels.

- ensure the clutch cable is not in the way.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did thatit doesnt get far enough to tuch the aligment dowels,cabel is not in the way
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

sorry.

I am out of suggestions.

best of luck.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need a harley mechanic that knows sporster 883,s
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I suspect the problem you are experiencing is because of the clutch release mechanism.

First, when you are trying to install the primary cover and it stops about 1/2" away from the cases, do you have any free play in the clutch lever? If not, you will want to collapse the cable adjuster all the way. That entails breaking the lock nut loose at the cable adjuster and screwing the externally threaded portion of the adjuster in as far as it will go into the internally threaded adjuster.

Here is a parts diagram of the cable and lever. If you will look just below the reference #8 you will see the adjuster I am talking about. You want to make it as short as possible which will give you maximum slack in the clutch cable. Just to make sure I am being clear on what I want you to do, after you screw it in, you should not be able to see any threads on the adjuster any more. Just trying to ensure you screw it in as if you were tightening a bolt as opposed to backing it off.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=79&b=16&c=0&d=1993%20SPORTSTER%AE%20XLH%20120%20%28CA%29%20CLUTCH%20ASSEMBLY

Once you have the adjuster bottomed out as described above, try installing your side cover again and see if it will now go.

Once you get the side cover on, you will want to back that adjuster out so you have about 1/8" free play at the lever perch between the perch and the cable ferrule.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cannot see any threads have the clutch cabel backed all the way off , broke the ramp inner and have another one coming cover goes to about 1/2 inch to side wont go farther.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
went right by the harley factory shop manuel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think U know what is going on here ,have you ever had the primary off a 883 sporster?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Many.

Did you see the link of the parts fiche I sent you? The adjuster is in the middle of the cable. Backing it off is going the wrong direction. You want to turn the adjuster IN so you cannot see any of the threads on the adjuster any more.

RSRBOB