Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

How do you check your ecm 2007 sportsman 500 efi ho I would

Customer Question

how do you check your ecm for a 2007 sportsman 500 efi ho I would rather not spend 400$ unless im sure that's the problem
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the problem started with the gas gauge flashing like the quad was out of gas and it went on for about 2 months then I went to start it one day and the quad made a ticking sound the display would come on then flash and go back out it finally started a couple times now it wont do any thing except sit there and clicking and humming
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ive checked for recalls but come up empty it sounds like they recalled the same prob on a lot of 05-06 models
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially (and if have not been tried), please click HERE for the troubleshooting flowchart for a go/no-go tests of the ECM and peripheral parts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you happen to have an electrical schematic for my 2007 Polaris sportsman 500 ho efi
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Please try and click HERE. Verify wire colors matches as this is a base (standard) wiring reference.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a trouble shooting guide for the ECM pin by pin / resistance / open circuit or a complete open if it's fried or any easy way to test the ECM
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

With a number of sensors feeding the electronics, no easy doable pin to ground resistance check; sorry.

The only easy/doable test would be to isolate test each sensor in effect, a process of elimination. If all others passes their individual tests and still no spark, then the ECM would be most likely suspect. Have you confirmed / re-checked for spark?

Perhaps consider (re-)starting back with the basics; inspect the battery, fusible links and ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration.

Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

It has to be posted that the power distribution system is equally if not more prone to failure.

...and even in some instances causes other parts to similarly fail (eventually).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is a page 2 to that schematic do you also have that one I did not have a chance to look at the quad tonight how long do I get to ask you questions
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Page 2 is a wiring termination table. Please click HERE.

I would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so) to enable me to reply to further followup queries on the ECM issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can do thanks Louie I will just give me a week end to see if I have any other questions but your input has been extremely helpful it's my first time so I just want to make sure I can get it fixed
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

I understand Leslie and no prob.

Would look forward to an update when conveniently able on your end.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Louie I have it all taken down hopefully will get it figured out today having trouble reading the schematics is there any better pics of them
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Sorry but no other / better wiring diagram.

Still, please post back how things turned up.