Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Was riding on hywy, when lost gearing, the indicator went

Customer Question

Was riding on hywy, when lost gearing, the indicator went nuts jumping all through my gear range 1 - 6.. motor was reving, but not going anywhere. pulled off to shoulder. Shifted to neutral, bike sounded fine, no grinding, or strange sounds at all. Pulled in clutch, dropped into first, tach indicator as well said first, bike reved up but wouldn't move forward when released clutch, sat there in gear idling like not in gear (neutral). tried all gears up an back down same results. Called dealer shop, "never heard such a thing". Little nervous let them touch bike now for one as I can't be only one this has ever happened too. Would gear spring cause this or clutch itself? or is it actually in the tranny?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The first thing this sounds like is the clutch is slipping and is causing you to loose all forward drive through the transmission. If you still have normal spring tension in the clotch lever, you are going to have to pull the clutch side cover off and see what is going on under there.

The symptom of the gear indicator jumping around sounds like the sensor plate or contact under it have a problem. I would suggest taking a look at the clutch first, then after the whole lack of forward drive is resolved, the gear indicator can be addressed.

Thanks

RSRBOB