Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I'm trying to identify the exact model/version of a Suzuki

Customer Question

I'm trying to identify the exact model/version of a Suzuki GS450 to be able to order some parts. Unfortunately I have had no luck finding this information online since it is a pre-VIN number bike. I know it is a GS450S from around 1981-1984 but there are lots of different models in around those years (ST, SX, etc) and there are different schematics with different part numbers.
Here are the identifying numbers:
Non-VIN number: GS450-319823
Fno. 519823
Eno. 160351
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The first thing I need to know to be able to help you is whether this is a USA model or is it from another world wide market? The manufacturer supplies information for the models they import into their country. I am in the US so if it is a US model, I can try to help you. If its not a US model, please state the country of origin so another expert from that region can assist.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. Had to contact support to get my question fixed.The bike was bought in Europe. Denmark to be exact.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 months ago.

I am going to have to check to see if I have access to any information that would help you determine the year. Exactly what are you trying to find, parts wise that you are concerned might be different?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sidecovers, stickers etc. I'm also rebuilding the engine soon but the technical drawings show different engine numbers in different S models, none the same as mine though as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what the differences actually are.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I would be shocked if any of the body work were still available for the 81~84 model years. This may end up being a moot point. I will look it up tomorrow and get you an explanation of what all the letters mean and we can go from there. The engines should be the same, with the only differences being if they superceeded part numbers to newer parts. Compatibility in the engine should not be a problem. This was not one of their flagship models so they were never on the cutting edge of technology and changing from year to year. The 450 engine is essentially a 3rd generation GS400 engine. They did obviously increase the displacement, but that is just about it.

Exactly what are your engine numbers anyhow?

Thanks,

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That would be the Eno. 160351 as far as I know. Taking a random model from a list you'll see that it has different pictures for things like crankcase, camchain, etc:http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs450s-1982-z_model13446/partslist/