Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I want to adjust the clutch on a Suzuki vz1600 motorcycle

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny, can I get the mileage on the bike, and is this just an adjustment or have you recently replaced the clutch ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
70129 No I have not recently replaced the clutch. it seems to slip a bit in 4th and 5th gear . It doesn't have the grab I expect .The lever is almost all the way out before it grabs. It doesn't slip in 1 2 or 3
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is hydraulic and I see some numbers by the lever on a little round dial..wondering if that is where I can adjust
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** a Marauder, correct ? Your bike has a hydraulic clutch and there really isn't any adjustment as like models that utilizes a cable set-up, the only adjustment you should have is the lever adjustment, either to move it closer or further to the handlebar grip.

What you have, is your clutch sounds like its going away, the plates are worn and that is likely from loss of static pressure that is controlled by the springs in the operating plate, and all this happens with miles, if this is the original clutch then its done its time. The reason you feel the slippage in the higher gears is the engine is over powering the load that exerted on it. I would suggest that you NOT continue to ride it, as every time its starts slipping its putting clutch material throughout the engine and can then clog the oil pickup causing extensive engine damage.

I know its probably not the answer you wanted, with parts and if you are going to take this to a dealer and if he's good to you, you are probably looking at about $350 for parts and labor.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Thanks ....
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome, also if you don't burn the steel plates, you can sand blast then rather then replacing them, that will save you about $100