RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

My 2008 rhino battery went dead and i jumped it off and i

Customer Question

my 2008 rhino battery went dead and i jumped it off and i have a large E flashing in my instrument cluster
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, this is Kenny, other then the "E" flashing is the unit exhibiting any other symptoms ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No runs great and the E is the only thing in display
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks David, give me a bit and I'll get back to you, thanks !

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, I'm going to post a picture can you tell me where you are seeing this "E" on this picture

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a large E in the middle of the screen and nothing else appears on the screen
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK the picture that I posted up and the box referencing the Number 1 is where there the indicator for the FI system alerting you there is a problem, is this where you are seeing the letter ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO my screen is blank except for a Large E flashing in the center
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, tell me how you jumped this unit as you indicated in your earlier statement, exactly !

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With jumper cables connected to my 2007 chev truck with 6.0 gas engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much longer do we play this game
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

David, most of the experts on here, this is not our job, I actually had prior obligations yesterday and that is why I wasn't able to get back yesterday, as I don't need to tell you is you can to this site because you feel you could fix this yourself with the help of someone that's understands these units, this saving you from paying your dealer at least $100 per hour for diagnosing and be lucky if they could find the problem in a couple hours, so I will be glad to continue to help you as I have a few hours this morning, or I can opt out and let another expert help you.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can quit you have not told me anything in three days of talking this web site is a scam
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry David, but this site is good we have help lots of people, there is a lot of gathered experience with us experts, as myself I use to help 1400 dealer across this country when I was with a manufacture, dealers would call me looking for answers, all of the customers that I have helped see the value there because they are getting factory support at a very reduced rate verses what there local dealer would charge. I will opt out and send Bob (former Yamaha factory expert) a note, if you like continue with Bob, we are the only two former manufacture guys.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give me Bob
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I reviewed your exchange with Kenny and actually discussed it with him.

I do not have good news. In all likelihood, you have damaged either the meter or the ECU. The only reason you would get the big E display on your multi-function gauge is the ECU is not communicating with the gauge (open circuit). In slang terms something more than likely got fried in the jump starting process. Without being there to see exactly how all that went down, there are too many variables to be able to definitively state exactly what caused the failure.

Since there are no tests per se for this problem, the only thing that can be done is swap either the meter or the ECU with a known good unit. However, before you do that, you should have a good battery that is fully charged. On that note, I am taking for granted you have resolved what ever the issue was that prompted the need for a jump start. If you have not resolved that issue, you need to do that first. If the battery was just low on charge, make sure it has been recharged before attempting to power up the electrical system on the SXS or trying to start it. If the battery has been tested and passed a static, unloaded volt test, you may proceed with the component swaps.

The other sad reality is unless you know someone that has the same unit as you, you might be forced to take it to a shop to allow them to swap components with known good parts. It could end up being less expensive in the long run by taking it to a dealer for diagnosis as opposed to guessing at which component to replace, either the ECU or Meter, because if you guess wrong, there are no returns on electrical parts. The meter is about $340 retail and the ECU is about $600 retail. You may end up buying one of them, but as least you wont end up buying both if you guess wrong.

If you need further assistance, let me know

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bob I can check this out and if if I have any more questions I'll call