Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

2006 hd sportster xl1200c running only on front cylinder.

Customer Question

2006 hd sportster xl1200c running only on front cylinder. replaced the coil with oem coil and cables. did not fix the problem. any thing i should check before bringing it ion to the shop?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect and make sure the wiring to the coil is all o.k.If there is a fault with the wiring to the coil this will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If no faults are found with the wiring you may need a cylinder compression test done to see if the cylinder is low on compression which will indicate an internal mechanical fault in the engine.This is best tested by someone who has the correct compression test gauge for this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

a fault with the wiring to the coil cannot cause this problem.

peterpete190 does not know what he is talking about and should OPT OUT.

on that bike, both spark plugs fire at the same time, every time.

possible causes of this bike running on only 1 cylinder are:

- fouled/bad spark plug.

- bad spark plug wire.

- physical damage of the coil (cracked or broken)

- loss of compression on one cylinder.

I would replace the spark plugs and wires.

if that did not resolve the issue I would perform a compression test on both cylinders and compare the results.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve