Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Can't Find An Ign. Coil 1996 KTM 400 (#58031006000 ) Can

Customer Question

Can't Find An Ign. Coil For A 1996 KTM 400 (#58031006000 ) Can Anything else Be Adapted / Used
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dave, this is Kenny, when you say ignition coil are you referring to the coil that connects to the spark plug or a stator coil ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The Coil Mounted On The Frame , It's A 4 Wire , Black ( Ground ) , Orange ( Kill Switch ) Red & Green Come From Stator
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

So I'm assuming that you checked with a dealer ? Part # *****

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dave I cant come up with anything, however I do have some friends that work for KTM, they are down in San Diego getting ready for this weeks Supercross, I can ask if they have an alternative or know of something else, but it would probably be until next week if you don't mind until then ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, It's Not Going Anywhere, Any Help Would Be Appreciated, The Fact It;s A 4 Wire Is Throwing Me Off, More Familiar with 2 Or 3 Wire Coils
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I Can't Be The Only Person That's Run Into This , Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Yeah me too, I'm sure its a "low" impedances coil (primary side) unless one of those wires from the stator is a ground ? you wouldn't happen to have a manual for this ? Anyway I can do some digging for you and likely get back next week, if you don't hear from me rattle my cage !

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** Note, The Black Wire Is I Assume Ground, All 3 Wires Come Up From The Stator, The 4th , Orange Wire Goes To The Kill Switch
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Well Dave you can check that with multi-meter, yeah they are just shorting the orange to ground to kill the spark, the orange wire comes up from the stator ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, The Orange Comes Directly From The Coil To The Kill Switch, The Black, Red, & Green Come Up From The Stator, I Have Voltage From The Stator When I Kick It Over, Coil Doesn't Ohm Out
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

I will see what I can come up with on the red green wires,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did You Find Anything Out ? Seems The Coil Is Half Coil & Half CDI ( Explains The Extra Wire )
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dave, I sent my buddy an e-mail, he was checking haven't heard back from him yet, I will follow up, he said he would get back either way.