Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Will a bad rectifier cause a problem with engine starting

Customer Question

will a bad rectifier cause a problem with engine starting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2005 Honda Shadow VT750...plugs are sparking but look weak...put fuel directly into cylinder heads via spark plug hole ....still doesn't hit a lick
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Kenny, can I get the mileage on your bike, and has this unit been sitting or have you been using it all along ?

The regulator/rectifier is there basically to convert AC voltage into DC voltage, keep your battery charged, however you need to make sure that you start out with a good battery, do you have access to a volt meter, (multi-meter) and want about checking the compression on this engine ? I would like for you to check the compression really before we move on, just make sure that we are not dealing with an engine problem.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny ....performed a compression test and could only get 30 lbs....shouldn't it be around 125
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
That's you problem, it's not an ignition probelm !