Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

My townhouse neighbor keeps s motorcycle in s garage but

Customer Question

My townhouse neighbor keeps his motorcycle in his garage but doesn't necessarily prepare it for winter. Instead, he pulls it out to the driveway and revs the engine for about 10 minutes each evening. It's really loud and stinky. If it's not too bitter cold, he'll ride it for about 15-30 minutes, but that's rare. Does revving the engine like that serve a purpose? He's a decent neighbor so I don't want to ruin good neighbor relations by asking him directly. Just knowing there's a good reason for it is good enough for me, but I would never rev my car like that. Appreciate a response. Thanks.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Elaine, my name is ***** ***** to your question is really no, first off sitting and letting you motorcycle idle and or revving it up for that long of time could be actually doing damage. Not sure the model he has but likely its "air" cooled and requires air to move across the cylinder fins to properly cool the engine, running it static and not getting the proper air flow to cool it down can be detrimental to the life of the engine.

Definitely being able to ride it is much better, part of the process of an internal combustion engines is effectively getting them to operating temperatures which helps with the process of getting rid of moisture that can occur when engines are in cold conditions as they will build moisture in the cold down process. When engine are not under a load (just idling or revving in the driveway) they will usually not get up to the "normal" operating temperature as it was originally designed for from the manufacture.

The best thing to do is to "stabilize" the fuel and keep the battery on a trickle charger, and when weather permitting go ride the unit at least so the engine has a chance to get up to operating temperatures.

Let me know if this helps, or you have any further questions, I would be glad to answer

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks!

You're welcome !