Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have I 2004 r1 can get power to my dash and the bike wont

Customer Question

Customer: i have I 2004 r1 can get power to my dash and the bike wont start my horn does work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recentry replace my rectifier and the startor coil and also istall a new lithium battery everything was working find until two days a go while i was riding the bike just shut down and the battery was completely drain,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Motorcycle Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you still need help on this, and also do you access to a multi-meter as you will likely need to check for some voltages and resistance checks ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found my ingnition fuse burned and everytime I put a new one on and turne the ignition it blows the fuse
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back, is everything stock on the ignition system, and if you have added anything please let me know.

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my system is stock
I have a full aratta exaust system and a power commander III
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I need to remove the power commander and then tell me what you have

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that and still have the fuse blown
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, those are generally the cause, has the bike ever been down (crashed) and do you have a multi-meter, (volt meter) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Well for me to help you further you are going to need a meter as part of the diagnostic tools. I'm going to opt out and maybe someone else can help you.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the ignition fuse powers the red/white wire that feeds the:

• • instrumentation (least likely);
  • • OFF/RUN switch (less likely);
  • • starter relay, starting circuit cut-off relay and radiator fan motor relay (likely);
  • • ECU (most likely).

Propose simple test would be go/no-go; i.e. remove the connector that feeds the above 1 at a time until the ignition fuse no longer blows. Then the faulty circuit/component can be identified.

It has to be posted that it is still very possible for a pinched wire that is inadvertently shorting to frame/chassis ground. Trace/check all the red/white wires.

If by chance the ignition fuse no longer blows with the Engine OFF/RUN switch OFF, then trace/check all the red/black wires all the way to the ignition coils.