Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My names. I have 05 fxdi I have a tapping noise in front

Customer Question

Customer: hey steve. my names tim. I have 05 fxdi I have a tapping noise in front cylinder on top. just started today at the end of about a ten mile ride. sounds like a lifter tapping in a car engine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have had the bike 4 years . never any probs, took off a little while ago sounded fine. about 3 miles from home started noticing tapping. it speeds up and slows down with rpms. I get a coupl of taps when shut off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure no prob
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

was the bike parked or regularly riddden?

how far did you ride today?

who services your bike?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
bike was parked for about a month. I started it evrery sun let it idle for 15 mins. shut it off . Bike has 35000 miles on it. about 2200 since last fluid change. local dealer sevices the bike. rode about 10 miles today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
added vance & hines pipes and fuel pak about 2 years ago with se 1st stage. when I started bike today battery was pretty low. slow turning over but it did start.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
noise is loudest on primary side of engine .sounds like rocker tapping under the cover
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
front cylinder
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
restarted bike . seems to get worse as engine warms up
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

your oil needs to be changed.

starting the engine for 15 in. and shutting down without riding is the WORST thing you can do. it warms the crankcase just enough to promote condensation forming but is not hot enough to boil the condensation out of the oil. I suspect your oil is a good percentage water right now.

-there is nothing I would do until you correct that and find out if the problem persists.

- since changing the oil only changes the oil in the oil bag, in a case like this, I recommend removing the allen drain screw n the bottom side of the crankcase to ensure ALL water logged oil is removed. be careful.....if you strip the threads you may have to disassemble the engine to fix it.

let me know what you find.

Steve