gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have an LT 50cc i have replaced the starter cord, spark

Customer Question

Customer: i have an LT 50cc i have replaced the starter cord, spark plug and cleaned the carb and put fresh oil and petrol, but i can't get it to start and when i do it only runs on the choke?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: once i done all the work it started and only run on the choke
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove the needle jets and soak them, and then make sure you could spray cleaner through the ports in them? The holes are tiny and gas will crystalize or gum up in them. It is the most common issue, and since you say it may run at idle but not off idle, I would suspect the off idle jet is plugged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did clean the carb but not the jets properly, also i didn't spray the holes so i will have to strip it down again, and try and do it right this time. Thanks
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I like to let them soak in some carb cleaner overnight or for a few hours, and then I use a spray can of cleaner to make sure it blasts through good, and hold them up to the light to see if I can see through- they are tiny but you should at least see light.