Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

My 2010 Polaris ranger surges power under load

Customer Question

my 2010 Polaris ranger surges power under load
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** many hours are on this unit ? also has this unit been sitting for any amount of time prior to its current runnibility issue ? and if you can give me a brief description of how this unit is used and when was the last time unit was serviced, and that would include any replacement of parts and including the belt ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
550 hours.mostly used for trail riding some light hauling.garage kept.pressure cleaned always.all fluids changed every hundred. replaced belt twice looking for more power.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no more sitting time than a week ever

OK, so when was this unit used last, was it sitting for a period of time ? also give me a little better description of the surging ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I operate unit about every two days or less.sometimes short runs sometimes longer.
when going uphill especially the unit runs at full power for @ 5 seconds then at about half power for 5 seconds.battery full.valves adjusted.fresh gas.not as noticeable when not hard on power but still always there.

OK, thanks that helps, based on all you have claimed to have been done, it sounds like its on a good regularly scheduled maintenance program which is good, also a lot belt replacements in 550 hours ? I'm getting the feeling that its pointing to a fuel delivery issue. What it looks like is happening is under a load either the fuel pump is cavitating or the possibility of the fuel filter is clogged (low pressure). I have found that a lot of runnibility issues on these utility vehicles is usually from contaminated fuel systems.

Diagnosing this is relatively easy but would requite hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and then while under a load watch the pressure, if it drops tem likely you have a pump issue, which would requiring inspecting the fuel pump.

Now it could also be as easy as a clogged injector, you can get locally an additive that is sold in most chain Auto Parts stores, its made my Chervon, its "Techron", its is a Great injector cleaner and also will de-carbon the engine. I suggest as an easy fix would be to try that first, but before you do that it might be a good idea to pull fuel pump out of the fuel tank, inspect the bottom of the fuel tank for contaminants and then while there you can inspect the fuel filter, Polaris does not make the pump serviceable and if something was damaged or needed to be replaced you would have to replace the pump as an assembly, before you do that though I would recommend getting a pressure reading, pumps are just under $300 for this unit.

Let me know your thoughts or you have any further questions.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yeah fuel delivery was my thoughts also. and after looking at my service manual I concluded no filters on fuel line other than on pump in tank which is non serviceable.was hoping was a common problem that would not involve buying a fuel pump to c f that was the problem. injector cleaner might be a good try but as constant as the power surging is and at same repeated intervals it prob is the pump or internal filter. no one has ever inquired about this problem before that u kno of and has had n e luck fixing ?

You can pull the pump out, and a lot of times the contamination is obviously packed around the filter, don't remember if this one uses like a sock and a pick-up or pre-filter, in any case those can be cleaned easily. Also a carboned up engine can cause a lean condition, it have seen where excess carbon when it gets hot inside an engine, it expands and will actually absorb some the fresh intake charge causing surging or what appears to be a lean condition. I actually did a study on various injector cleaners and then bore scoped the engines after running it through the engines and the Chevron was the best, ***** ***** use in in all my vehicles as a routine maintenance. There is also a breather filter on the air intake, if the unit was used in really dusty conditions that is something that is replaceable ? But really important that the fuel tank is clean, its worth to verify that along.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 10 months ago.

Hi this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Thanks

Kenny