Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

K.
, I have two 7/98 prod date Skidoo Skandic 500

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** K.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have two 7/98 prod date Skidoo Skandic 500 sleds. They came from a ski area used by the ski patrol. They are identical. One of them the reverse works fine and one does not. I have swapped the push buttons and that makes no difference. Could it be the coil and if so is it called the cdi unit?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect for any damaged or corroded wiring on the sled to see if any issues are found.If a fault is found with any wiring or wiring connections this will need resolved to see if this corrects the fault here.If this is or has been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All the wiring is fine. I am curious what makes the electronic reverse operate. On the sled that works, when the reverse button is activated the rpm drops and the reverse is engaged. The sled that does not go into reverse, the rpm remains the same and nothing happens. Does the cdi-coil unit make the engine run backwards? Please, if you do not have any experience with the RER on a Skidoo tell me so I can get a refund and take it to a dealer!
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete