Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I am working on a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. The ECM was replaced

Customer Question

I am working on a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. The ECM was replaced by a local Atv shop. It has a fuel injection pulse. After replacing the ECM It had a spark just for a couple of seconds. They have checked the CDI. The CPS All seemed to be fine. Any ideas?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the ATV with no problems the prior day before the problem. I did wash it off prior to transporting it to another area. Started to warm it up. Unloaded out of the trailer. Was sitting there idling. And just shut off. Went to restart. Turned over. Was not starting. Then sounded like it back fired into the intake side. It did start and idle. It throttled up with no problems. Started the ride. Turned he Atv after about 20 minutes of running. Went restart. Was a bout the same situation as earlier. But no back fire. Did start. Had a hard climb for about 10 minutes. When I let of the throttle. The engine died and would not restart.
I dropped it off at a Local shop. I am a Mechanic myself. But am burned out on working on my own stuff on the weekends. That is why I dropped off at the local shop. They said they tested components and suggested an ECM. It was purchased and installed. I was told that it had Sprite for a second. I am going to pick up and bring it to my shop and fix it myself. They said it had injection pulse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sprite would be spark
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Since it was washed off check and see if any wiring connections had got any water in them causing this fault here.I have seen wiring connections cause this type of fault here and had to clean the connections to correct this fault.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
This happened prior to Thanksgiving. It has been at the ATV shop for more then 5 weeks inside. I am going to pick it up on Tuesday Jan 5th. I will check the connection for corrosion. I don't think there would be any moisture left in the connections. I will contact you after Tuesday. I was looking for more of a specific answer. Or common problems To go to.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If water has entered any connections this will cause this type of fault here.In allot of cases water inside a connection usually won't dry out very quickly so there is a chance water is the cause here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can wait till Tuesday or Wed and get a good look into this and call you then Would that be acceptable?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem.Let me know what you come with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pete
The connections were checked for water. They checked all the connections. No Corrosion I am going to start trouble shooting the issue myself. What I need is a person who is familiar with the Polaris EFI system. I picked up my service manual that I loaned to the ATV shop. And traced out the schematics for the coils . If you have a person who have worked on the Polaris EFI systems. That may have ran into this issue. And have some suggestions then that would be the person I need to be in contact with.