Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

On my 1999 Polaris 488 fan cooled when it's running it won't

Customer Question

On my 1999 Polaris 488 fan cooled when it's running it won't pull air and gas through the carb on the pto side actually blows it out so it ends up running on one cylinder. It has good compression both sides spark both sides fuel both sides (swapped carbs,plugs,plug wires one side to the other with no change)
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Stu, my name is ***** ***** you give me a number on the compression measurement on the cylinders.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120 pto 125 fan
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you still need help on this question ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you think the reason it won't draw fuel and run on the pto side?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Going over this, its a piston port engine,(meaning the skirts on the piston control the intake) it would appear right now that the intake side of the PTO piston is broke, there is also a possibility that the rings on that piston could also be contributing to the problem, I see that the compression is off a little in that cylinder, not a lot but maybe enough of an indication that would warrant to at least to pull the cylinder head with is pretty easy on this model.

Things that I would initially try

1. Check crankshaft phase, (one piston at TDC, "top dead center" the opposite piston then should be at BDC "bottom dead center"
  2. Remove cylinder head and inspect the of the pistons, say if the intake skirt on the PTO piston broke likely it will leave some indication on the top of that piston that something came apart and will leave marks.
  3. If removing the head and its not conclusive to a problem with a piston, at this point then I would remove the cylinder as there is likely something going on, I have seen pistons come apart and actually ingest and go through an engine and leave no indications.

Let me know what you find and if you have any questions please reply back.

Thanks

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Thanks

Kenny