Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Bought aglide from a friend, he bought it new and had it

Customer Question

Bought a*****glide from a friend, he bought it new and had it serviced at the local harley shop. I need to know what I need to do first to it, what I can do, what I should have a shop do, that kind of stuff. I have had a number of motorcycles and quads, this is my 1st rather expensive one and I dont want to mess it up. I can do most maintenance just needing advice on this one. my buddy has 5 other harleys so he is kind of a collector and has them serviced, he does not do it. This bike has 15800 miles on it and is in really good shape, thanks.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

the best advice I can give you is to purchase the HD factory Service Manual, Parts Catalog and Electrical Diagnostics manual.

DO.....whatever you are comfortable with. if you are proficient with tools, perform the services yourself, but refer to the service manual maintenance schedule......a "service" is more than an oil and filter change. the Service manual tells you WHAT needs to be serviced, WHEN it needs to be serviced and HOW to perform the service.

the Parts Catalog shows exploded views of everything on your bike.....this makes disassembly and assembly much easier. in the back is a fastener reference which gives you the generic fastener details for every nut, bolt and washer on the bike, when available.

your bike is a computer with wheels. without the electrical diagnostics manual, the only tool you need is a trailer. it is impossible to diagnose electrical problems without it.

DO NOT do anything you are uncomfortable with. let the shop handle things that are beyond your ability.

I hope that helps.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, I have the manual, good advice. What I was looking for is what should I look at/do right now before I take it in to the shop. Anything I can do to save a bit of money and make sure the important stuff is taken care of. I get reading the manual and looking at the service schedule, will do that also. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you are asking that I didn't already answer.

- check the service schedule for 15,000 miles. do everything you feel comfortable with. if you see something you are not comfortable with, take it a shop to finish the maintenance.

- if there is something you don't understand, ask me a specific question. I'll be glad to explain or provide axtra detail not covered in the manual.

- Harley writes their manuals specifically.....for someone who knows bikes and how to work on bikes. their manuals are intended to provide the specific details you need for THIS bike, but not necessarily to explain to you how to wrench......does that make sense?

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Was hoping for advice beyond read the manual Steve. I was looking for things like as what would you look at if you got a bike first? If you don't have further advice then thats all

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

you stated it was regularly serviced at a dealership. that should cover everything.

what would I look at? everything. I could list it for you....but it's in your manual under the service schedule.

throttle operation, kickstand spring, wheels/spokes, tire pressure and condition. drive belt condition and adjustment, brake condition. oil and filter change. primary and transmission lube change. primary chain adjustment, battery voltage, charging system voltage, operation of all lights and signals, critical fastener torque, clutch and clutch cable lube and adjustment. air filter service, all lines and fittings, spark plugs, air suspension settings, test ride. everything, because your life depends on it.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Steve what I was after was advice/suggestions to a new harley owner. some things to check and advice not just read the manual advice as I had that covered. If there really is nothing you would suggest to someone who just bought his first harley then we are good.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

what would I look at? EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING on the maintenance schedule.

just so we're on the same page........if I had just bought that bike.......I would check EVERYTHING.

after that, I would adhere to the maintenance schedule.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you.

Steve