TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

How do I adjust timing on a xr600/ can I adjust from the

Customer Question

Customer: how do I adjust timing on a xr600/ can I adjust from the bottom or top/?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i replaced the head and valves i put it back together and found out I'm one tooth off the mark having trouble re alinig the cam tensioner wont give enough slack to move camshaft back
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 11 months ago.

Remove the cam chain tensioner from the cylinder. Shine a light down the cam chain tunnel and verify that the chain is centered on the crankshaft sprocket and centered on the front and rear guides. Confirm that the chain is fully engaged on the crankshaft sprocket by lowering the camshaft sprocket slightly then rotate the sprocket slightly while lifting it back up. Check that the timing marks are aligned then start the sprocket bolts one at a time. Reinstall the cam chain tensioner while using a thin bladed screwdriver to turn the center screw counterclockwise as far as it will go. Once the tensioner bolts are installed release the screwdriver and the tensioned will spring back out. Check that the timing marks are aligned. Slowly rotate the engine two complete turns and double check the timing marks are still aligned.