Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

1982 XS650SH motorcycle -- the shop determined that a failed

Customer Question

1982 XS650SH motorcycle -- the shop determined that a failed stator is the fault behind the starting problems. The replacement product appears to be best found at Mike's XS website. However, this model is the first pointless XS model, and the shop is not quite clear on exactly which replacement to use, and exactly how the wiring goes on this particular after-market product. It is hard to get any feedback from either the web site, or the owner's forum. What do I, and the guys at the shop, need to know about this?
Thanks.
Peter Brewer (###) ###-####
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Peter, my name is ***** ***** from what I can tell is you need a stator for this unit, what was the symptom, is the unit not starting or is it a charging issue ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Kenny:When the bike started, the unit charged and life was good. Then the bike started to cut out while in operation, and start up again after I toggled the kill switch a time or two. Then it stopped starting altogether. The shop found that spark was weak, and intermittant, and found that the casing and wiring had cracked in the stator. Perhaps I should put you in communication with the shop directly . . . they have the bike and the diagnosis, after all. BRG Racing Preoducts:***@******.***

Well its sounds like you definitely has an ignition problem, I not one that can be convinced of "weak" spark, its usually you have it or don't, however the intermittent part is usually real and it usually point to a component failure or one about to. There are a couple of places I would recommend either to purchase a stator and or pick-up of have them rewind your part. You can Google these guys and it would be worth a phone call. Ricky Stator in Ramona California and then Jet Ski Solutions (John) he's in Alabama, both places are awesome and do great work, you would need to call them. I'm sure Ricky Stator has done many of them, that way you know you are getting exactly what you need.

I'm going to see if I can pull a manual for this model, its a bit old, not sure what I have, I will get back

Thanks

I have an 81 manual, should be the same for the electrics, let me see if I can come up with some resistance values, then I can give some AC checks that they can try at the shop.

I pulled a manual for the 81, they explain the system well, but no values on the pick-up according to that it looks like it utilizes two coils, that of a CDI in a way, one to charge the box and then a trigger. I would make a call to Ricky Stator to see what they have, you have spark so you box appears to be OK, and if the shop claims that they found something cracked then I would go with that.