Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 2005 C50 has been great, but I know have a mystery

Customer Question

My 2005 C50 has been great, but I know have a mystery problem. The starter circuit went dead. When the switch is turned on, the lights come on and the LCD screen displays the oil can icon and "CHEC" are displayed. Fuses and battery are OK. Can you direct me to the problem? Thanks.
I don't see on the website how answers are sent, but my email address is***@******.***.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried starting with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand folded up?

Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

The above are both an attempt of a workaround on starting and as a test as the clutch lever and the sidestand have micro switches that may prevent activation of the starter relay.

Others to consider/check (if have not been done) are:

• • ENGINE STOP is in the RUN position (may have to exercise a couple of times);
  • • transmission is in NEUTRAL.

All other tests would require the use of a volt/multi-meter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I have tried to start the engine with the kick stand up and the clutch engaged. The transmission is in neutral. No effect. The fuel pump also does not engage.
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

With ignition just switched on, check for the presence +12V on the yellow/red wire of the fuel pump:

• • if yes, then verify that the black/white wire has a good ground connection;
  • • if none, then check the red/black wire to the fuel pump relay.

Check for the presence +12V on the red/black wire to the fuel pump relay:

• • if yes, then check for +12 on the orange/white to the fuel pump relay from the ENGINE STOP switch;
  • • if none, then re-check the 10A # ***** fuse.

If all of the above check good, then test for the voltage of the yellow wire from the ECM to the fuel pump.