Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

My 2003 yerf dog scout is hard to start, sometimes will

Customer Question

Customer: my 2003 yerf dog scout is hard to start , sometimes will start and idle for sometimes a few minutes then stop and will not restart , seems to run good while it is running . any ideas what the problem is ? ***** ***** H.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it has a new carb. I removed the gas tank and cleaned it , the fuel pump works good . I have blue spark at the plug, the valves are set correctly, it has good compression, the timing is correct.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Since you have good spark and fuel this may be an issue with the ignition switch itself.I have seen some ignition switch failures before that send out low voltage that will cause an issue like this here with the switch itself needing replaced.I would have this tested to see if this is the cause here with it needing replaced to correct this fault.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete