Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 2000 ranger has spark but wont start it getting gas

Customer Question

Customer: my 2000 ranger has spark but wont start it getting gas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: last time it ran we just turned it off. then tried 2 min latter and no start. I check spark good put in a new plug tried starter fluid but no start. just cranks. can the cdi box change time spark timing ? It also has good suction on the carb. so I think compression is good
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, it would appear to be an engine issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • confirm compression with an actual PSI reading;
  • • or better yet, have a leakdown test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the suggestion was not very helpful. The polarus ran fine 5 min. before so how could I loose compression just by tuning it off ?
However what I found was the carb. needle and seat stuck open flooding the engine yes the comp. was low 70psi but by adding a small amount of oil the cyl. the comp. came up to 120 psi. so the advise was correct it lacked why it could be low you need to give more information on how it could be low. If I did a leak down and found leakage in the rings maybe some people would rebuild the engine. Sorry but I don't think I'll use your service in the future but I do like the Idea of it. PS I don't fill it was worth 25.00.