Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I dropped my Yamaha xj600s seca II on the right side at low

Customer Question

Hello, I dropped my Yamaha xj600s seca II on the right side at low speed and prior to this it was barely charging at 12.82 volts at idle. Now it won't start, battery still has power but makes a whirring sound like the starter is damaged. Where should I start? I thought I would replace the starter because the clutch gears were already worn but could it be more to it like the relay? I have a video I can show to make it more obvious if someone wants to help. Thanks!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I suggest not jumping into replacing parts just yet until we have reasonable certainty we are replacing truly faulty pieces.

The first thing I would like you to do is put a volt meter across the battery terminals in parallel, get a DCV reading with the key on, then hit the starter button and see what the voltage drops to. If it drops more than 1.5 volts, it would call the battery into question.

One more thing you can take a quick look at is clean and tighten all battery terminals.

If all that looks good, pull out the spark plugs and see if any of them seem to be completely gas soaked.

Let me know what you find with that and we can move forward from there.

Thanks

RSRBOB