Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have Tuatara brand three seat ATV which is powered by a

Customer Question

I have Tuatara brand three seat ATV which is powered by a Chery 1100cc 4 cyl. gasoline engine. The engine is rear mounted in an elevated position. It is water cooled with the radiator front mounted and fitted with a thermostatically operated fan mounted on the back of the radiator. The engine has been overheating when driven up moderate inclines in first gear or when being driven down the same incline under braking. I am wondering whether the problem could be the fact that the water hoses run from the top of the engine down to the chassis and travel to the radiator and back up to the top of the radiator. Could this possibly be causing back pressure due to the fact that hotwater naturally wants to rise to the top but is having to be forced downward and back up again. When travelling down hill, I wondered whether the hotwater is now being pushed to the highest point of the engine and away from the radiator? Overheating does not occur when travelling on flat ground. removing the engine thermostat resolves most of the overheating problems but obviously is not a satisfactory solution. I would be most grateful if you could suggest a solution. Regards. Geoff Hill
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This does sound like the elevation may be an issue here.The hot water usually releases at the top of the engine to flow into the radiator and the cooler water enters towards the bottom.Since the cooler water has to travel uphill it may not be pushing through properly causing this here.

If you can I would remount it to where it is almost level with the engine.If it continues to over heat you may need a bigger radiator.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete. Thanks for your response but actually the radiator and the engine are mounted at about the same height but it is not possible to avoid tracking the water pipes down onto the chassis and back up to the radiator because to do otherwise would be routing them directly through the passenger compartment and they would not be adequately secured. Also I wondered whether we could add a second electrically operated water pump to the line that delivers the heated water from the engine to the top of the radiator or would this create a conflict with the water pump mounted on the engine. I am assuming that the engine mounted water pump is actually sucking cooled water from the bottom of the radiator and circulating it through the engine?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

That would be a good idea to install a low pressure pump if you can find one to fit.This should resolve this issue as well instead of re routing the radiator or hoses.If the fault continues then the radiator itself may need upgraded to a larger one.

Thanks Pete