Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have purchased accel super coil 140404 01 gsx600f and

Customer Question

I have purchased accel super coil 140404 for my 01 gsx600f and since ive installed them ive had to replace my icu box once and think ive smoked a second one, do I need to upgrade the icu box to run hotter coils orany suggestions on running test on bike because ran fine before I tried to upgrade.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you say "smoked" are you referring to as it stopped working or did it literally shorted to the point where it started smoking ?

Not familiar Accel coils do you know the impedance of the coils ? Any other mods to the ignition system such as a "power commander" ? or anything else you have done on the electrics side besides the coils ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know the indpendats of the coils and I've done no other upgrades to ignition, do I need to? No the ICU box didn't actually start smoken jus stopped working well kinda the bike just backfires now but won't start. I put original ICU on and it does nothing. I'm trying to not buy a third one and end up doing the same thing. I have gone in behind head light n redone all electrical connectors from the factory cuz of damage dew to over heated wires .

Thanks, ***** ***** measure the resistance on the primary side of the coil (small wires) you should be no more then 1.5 ohms, preferably lower.

Now the melted wires is something to really be concerned about, do you know what caused that ? generally its a ground issue, you really need to peel back that harness and investigate, if its burnt deep you might end up replacing the main harness, depending on the extent off the damage its often better to replace then to repair.