P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 2014 1200 custom. I let it idle to charge a weak

Customer Question

I have a 2014 1200 custom. I let it idle to charge a weak battery then the engine shut off. I took the oil temp within about 2 minutes of it shutting down and got a 225 degree f reading. any damage?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 12 months ago.

That isn't nearly enough heat to cause any damage. The engine temperature sensor probably just got warm enough to mess up the air/fuel mix enough to kill it. It doesn't have any type of high temperature shutdown built into the system.

I surely wouldn't recommend doing that anymore though. The bike needs air moving across the engine when it is running.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.