Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Bike is 1992 virago 1100 .starter issue.replaced gear on

Customer Question

Hi .bike is 1992 virago 1100 .starter issue.replaced gear on starter and checked all electrics.starter cover is off so I can see what's going on.when pressing starter button bike turns over then screeches and repeats thus over and over.if I look down at starter clutch the solenoid arm bit is constantly going in and out as I keep my finger on the button.bike turns over fine with plugs out with pistons going up and down with no problems.its a new betterry.is this a solenoid problem.thanks kev
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I cant get bike to start more often than once from a fully charged battery .spark is good.-pops and backfires now and again while trying to start it.if I drain fuel from carbs-clean plugs and full choke it sometimes starts.once warm it starts and revs good but once left a few hours it's back to same issues.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you havent checked to see if there is a restriction in the exhaust at all this should be done.If there is any restriction at all this will cause this fault here as it will create high back pressure causing this issue.It may not be enough to cause a running issue once it is started but may be enough to cause hard starting like this.If this has already been checked or is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's a new exhaust system.plugs are new.no voltage drop at starter.i have it turning over fine but won't even offer to start.compression is fine at 135psi full tank of fuel and new fully charged lithium battery.timing etc must be ok as it started eventually last week and was fine until it was left overnight.if I drain carbs fuel runs out fine and on initial try at starting I hear fuel pump priming for a few seconds.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

If you havent had the fuel pressure tested at all if there is low pressure this issue will occur here.I have seen the fuel pump cause low pressure which can cause hard starting.This sounds like what may be occuring here possibly.If you can have this tested this will help to see if this is the cause here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How can I check fuel pressure ?i thought if carbs were full of fuel this would be enough to start and idle for a few minutes.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here so I dont have the testing procedures for this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Hi Kevin and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, it would appear a few areas of concern.

Still, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):
• inspect/change the starter's carbon brushes;
• clean the commutator segments;
• clean engine and battery ground connection:
• ensure original air box + filter/element is correctly in place with no possibility of air leak;
• re-test compression as it should be around 156 psi.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Psi should be145 +or-10 so compression is ok as its 135 when engine is cold.starter is fine as its turning over fast.all wiring is fine as voltage drop measured at starter when turning over is .2v original air filter secure.bike has only done 10k miles so everything is in vgc.i shall take it to a bike shop as I am just being told basically anything including.could be blocked exhaust-faulty fuel pump-starter-air filter etc.i understand it's hard to pinpoint a fault but I don't feel the advice has been helpful or worth £28.thanks anyway