Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Just bought a 1996 Yamaha Phazer 2 Mountain Lite 480, 4,000

Customer Question

Just bought a 1996 Yamaha Phazer 2 Mountain Lite 480, 4,000 miles. Owner said he just had the top end done, and upon inspection and test ride it ran perfectly.
However, once on the trail for about 5 minutes at low to medium throttle, it shut down and seemed to be overheated. Did not want to start back up, and if it got close, would cut out and backfire. After letting it sit and cool down about an hour, it started up and ran perfect.
Checked with a buddy who's a decent mechanic, and he suggested the fan belt was too loose or slipping. We tightened the belt, same result. Ran perfect for 1 mile, then abruptly shut down, seemed pretty hot still.
What am I missing? Is there a safety thermostat that shuts it down if its too hot. What could be causing this?
Thanks,
Craig
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** off I need you to check the compression, I see that the top end was just rebuilt but we need to first make sure that nothing going on there, to rule out that there might be a piston seizure going on. I believe that your problem lies in the electrical (ignition) area, you are going to need a multi-meter as I will have do some resistance checks on some various parts.

Thanks Craig !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Kenny, sounds good. I cant get back to the sled until Friday night/saturday. So will test the compression, and get back to you. My buddy was guessing electrical bad coil/plug wires as well...fyi, this is non electric pull start sled.Any suggestions on where the compression should be?Thanks, Craig
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Craig, typical Yamaha manual doesn't call out the compression measurement, but it has a low ratio 7.0 and knowing that base engine you are looking probably in range of 125-150 psi, what you want to look for more is that they are both even, if you were to find one that was way lower then the other then that needs to be addressed.

I have made a cheat sheet for you to check the coils for the CDI, they are located behind the flywheel/fan. You can check those with removing any of that stuff, now remember this seems to happen when hot so you might have to check them when cold and then get your engine hot, I believe this is where your problem lies, its not a bad job, its getting to the flywheel and you will need a puller for this procedure.

If you have any questions please feel free to get back to me at anything and I will b glad to answer, click on the link and save a copy to your desktop, they don't stay there long

Thanks Craig

Kenny

http://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJYZXQ2U1BwcFZBSXRVag