P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Hy guys I have big dog 06 with s & s 117 cubic inch motor.

Customer Question

hy guys
I have big dog 06 with s & s 117 cubic inch motor. with bugger all miles
It blows oil smoke when running a bit hot.
I am in New Zealand and a mechanic told me it had a cracked head and fully rebuilt it only for it still to happen.
I am sure it is something easy but dont trust the last bloke thats for sure.
Can you help
thanks Bede
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Are you confident he fully rebuilt it? The reason I ask is that kind of smoke is caused by one problem and that is a cylinder issue. It can be as simple as the need for new rings or as complicated as the need to bore the cylinder to return it to round and/or remove taper.

A "fully rebuilt" engine would include measuring the cylinder to verify it is round and not tapered, honing/deglazing if it measures good, and intalling new rings.

If the problem is the same as before I'd guess that the cylinder work was not done or not done properly.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.