Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I have a 2008 can am ATV DS 250 My son try to jump start it

Customer Question

I have a 2008 can am ATV DS 250
My son try to jump start it due to low battery,,,it started and 20 seconds later the
CDi burned (smoke),, got new Cdi & a new battery installed,,,20 seconds
And again the CDI smoked,,, the unit is cranking even with the CDI disconnected,,, (this RC-CDI type are expensive),,
Any idea what else's I should look for ??
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com

My info is somewhat limited on your exact model but as no one else has responded I will try to help you.

Was she starting & running OK before this happened?

Had any work been done on her just prior to this?

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Thanx

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit started ok & ran good,,, it was sitting for a month, then we took it out when try to start it it clicked and sound like a low battery, that is when he try to jump start it from my jeep,,, it started then the RC-CDI burned,, I have changed the battery & installed a new Rc-Cdi,, the unit started,, for 20 seconds & again burned the
Rc-Cdi,, all fuses are ok,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also found out later that you cannot
Jump start with external battery,
That is why I install a new battery & new Rc-Cdi parts,
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK give me a short while to research this for you

BTW do you know why jumping from an external battery is not recommended?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea why,, but when I have asked around ( I have called a can am dealer),,
They refers me to a mechanic at there service dpt' & he pointed out to that this unit do not support a jump start,, in order to re charge the battery you have to disconnect it from the unit cables, then re connect for a start up,,,,
Just for you to keep in mind I have worked on other MC but this one ???
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK I know that a battery charger should not be used without disconnecting the battery due to the amperage, but using an external 12v battery should be OK, anyway it happened again with a new battery & no jump

There must be a power getting to the wrong CDI pin due to a short circuit or component failure, unfortunately I only have info on the DS450 not 250

I will have to look into this further but meanwhile I will opt-out in case any other expert has direct experience of this

In case someone else picks this question up I will now wish you Good Luck

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Giving an undeserved negative or low rating will also put off other experts from trying to help

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will someone else be contact me???
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im back

You need to change out the regulator rectifier

After more research, it looks like the CDI systems on these DS250's use actual 12v DC battery voltage to power them only and not the conventional direct AC voltage from the stator windings
The stator is only a generator to re-charge the battery, via the rectifier / voltage regulator.
The CDI gets fused battery power from the key switch via a Black/White wire in the CDI connector.
There should be 12 volts DC from the Black/White wire at the harness side CDI connector
The pickup coil from the flywheel can be checked by measuring the resistance between the Green/White wire and the Blue/Yellow, it should be 50-170 Ohms.

If I have helped you then please
press accept as that is the only way that I
am compensated for my input, this does not
close your question, it will stay open for
its 7 day lifespan! (or longer)

Please take the time to rate my service to
you, I hope it has been favourable
Negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here, so if you feel you should give me a low rating, please contact me 1st & I will strive to reverse that feeling

Ratings apply solely to the service an
expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1)the black & white at the CDI plug as 12 v,
2)the pickup coil wires at the following location:
2.1) blue/ yellow at CDI plug reads 50 Homs,
2.2)blue/ yellow at under the right side wheel well (part of one single plug) reads
167 Homs,
Both test have been conducted with switch on, and then with switch off,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the actual parts #s which I need to buy?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Great, they have not been affected then

You will only have to change the reg/rect then, the rectifier part can be checked statically but it is the regulator part that must be blown & that can only be checked with engine running & you dont want to blow another CDI

I dont have the part no. but it is only 1 unit & should cost around $50 - 100 at a guess

It may have been the cause of the low battery to start with

Im glad to have helped you, please
its 7 day lifespan! (or longer)

you, I hope it has been favourable

Ratings apply solely to the service an

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will continue tomorrow,,
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK